Cristina Maldonado (Mexico 1974)
Cristina creates live-works in the intersection of mixed reality, participatory and relational art, expanded and live cinema, site-specific, performance, and experimental theater. She teaches, mentors, directs, and nurses collaborations using devised theater methodologies and a pos-dramatic approach. In the ’90s Cristina was a contemprary dance performer and lecturer, then expanded choreography into video-dance and performative installations in the 2000s. For the last two decades, she has been researching the implications of mediation, embodiment, and strangership. Recently she is working with performative writing and interdisciplianry projects that use performances as a tool for activating collective knowledge. She has performed in Mexico, Denmark, Belgium, Poland, Finland, Portugal, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Germany, Brazil, Canada, Armenia, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Russia, Lithuania, and Vienna. Her work has been supported by FONCA (National Fund for Arts and Culture, Mexico) with various editions of stimuli for creation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Danza UNAM, INBA (National Institute of Fine Arts, Mexico), and the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, among others. In 2020 Cristina was selected to enter the SNCA (National System of Art Creators Mexico). Currently, she is a lecturer and mentor in the Master’s program of Directing Devised and Object Theater, in the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (KALD/DAMU) and the Master and Bachelor program of Fine Arts in the School of Arts and Design of Prague College.
- 2020 Anthropology of Art. LATIR: Laboratory dedicated to research, project development, educational programs and publications, with a cross-disciplinary perspective.
- 2018-2020 Master in Fine Arts. Teesside University Program / at Prague College.
- 2017 -2018 Academic Program Contemporary and Current Art. Council for Culture and Arts (CONACULTA).
- 2001 – 2003 Human Sciences Studies. University Center for Human Integration.
- 2017-2020 Lecturer and mentor in the Master program of Directing Devised and Object Theater, in the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (KALD/DAMU).
- 2014-2020 Lecturer and mentor in the program of Fine Arts in the School of Arts and Design of Prague College.
- 2000-2003 Lecturer in Body-work education in Centro Universitario Claustro de Sor Juana. Mexico.
- 1995-2000 Lecturer in Contemporary Dance education. Dance Department. Autonomous National University (ENEP Acatlán UNAM) Mexico.
GRANTS AND AWARDS
- 2020-2023 Member of the National System of Creators. Experimental Audiovisual Media. FONCA. México.
- 2018 National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic creators. Interdisciplinary.
- 2017 “Choreography for internal use” Paper selected in the Latin American Colloquium for Research on Dance Practices and Research of the National Dance Coordination INBA.
- 2017 Selection of Stereopresence to be part of the educational program of the Diploma Course of the Dance Graduation Program in the Autonomous University of Querétaro (UAQ).
- 2017 Selection of the Stereopresence work for the international tour grant. Czech Ministry of Culture. Prague.
- 2015 Scholarship for conferences, presentations and workshops of The Stranger Gets a Gift. Agosto Foundation, Prague.
- 2016 Selection of the work Stereopresence for its production and premiere. Czech Ministry of Culture.
- 2016 “Atarashi hii “ videodance. Part of official selection and Honorable mention in International Videodance Festival Agite and Sirva.
- 2014 Divadelní Noviny Theater Diary – Nomination for the best production of the year for the stage play Sayat Nova, directed by Cristina Maldonado.Praga.
- 2013 National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic routes. Tour in Europe.
- 2013 “Happiness” videodance. Part of official selection and in International Videodance Festival Agite and Sirva.
- 2012-2014 National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic Creators with Trajectory. Contemporary dance.
- 2012 National Dance Coordination, INBA. Choreographic production made with the benefit derived from the forty-second article of the 2012 Expenditure Budget of the Federation. Danza en Expansión Project.
- 2011 Prague Quadrennial of Design and Scenic Space – Study on Fact and Fragility collaboration Alain Kerriou. Work Selected by the Mexican Selection Committee to represent Mexico as part of the most outstanding works created in the last four years. Prague.
- 2010 National Institute of Fine Arts – Award for Artistic Education and Research for the publication of the JuSeJu Manual, dance methodology applied to body communication between mothers and children.
- 2010 Translab. Multimedia Center of the National Center of Arts, Mexico – “Theorem of Wanting” work selected in PERFORMA 0.2 compendium of interactive or multimedia scenic works derived from an interdisciplinary convergence and that address the Performing Arts with the use of technology (APT) in Mexico.
- 2008-2009 National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic Creators. Contemporary dance.
- 2004 Selection of the work Brutality of Fact for its production and presentation. Czech Ministry of Culture. Prague.
- 2003-2004 National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Young Creators. Choreography, Contemporary dance.
- 1999-2000 National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Contemporary dance performer.
- 2019 Selection of the Insider work for its production and premiere. Teren- Experimental Art Platform, Brno.
- 2019 AND_Lab artistic research center, Lisbon.
- 2018 Metropolis – Københavns Internationale Teater. Site Specific International Theater Festival. Copenhagen
- 2017 Ausland art center, Berlin.
- 2016 Alfred ve Dvore Theater, Prague.
- 2015 Pala Fruits. Machinery of Truth. Greenhouse, Berlin.
- 2014 YO-YO Kravín Rural Arts, Vysocina.
- 2014 Divadlo na Cucky, Olomouc .
- 2014 Agosto Foundation. Interdisciplinary Community. Tabor.
- 2013 Mythos. Performing Art Center, Lemesos.
- 2013 Akos. Cultural NGO, Yerevan.
- 2013 Atelier Real Artistic Research Center, Lisbon.
- 2013 Alfred ve Dvore Theater, Prague.
- 2010 Meet Factory Gallery. Prague.
- 2009 STANICA Art Center. Slovakia.
- 2007 Museo de Arte Contemporáneo MAC8, Aguascalientes.
- 2004 CESTA Art Center. Tabor.